Tuesday, December 9, 2008

UCG Blog - Brave Anonymous Poster

I wanted to let you know about another UCG blog. I put one of this bloggers spiritual articles and one of his personal articles. His blog is here

http://braveanonymousposter.blogspot.com/
if you'd like to visit it.

I've been seeing the advertisment for this book for a few weeks now...
I haven't read it, and probably won't, but the sales pitch is really something.This Joe Kovacs fellow has discovered a few things in the bible that God's Church has been teaching for years.
Notice:Did you know?
Jesus said no one has gone to heaven except Himself
"Christmas" is not mentioned in the Bible
"Three Wise Men" appear nowhere in the Bible,
and none are ever mentioned visiting baby Jesus in a Bethlehem manger
The Bible doesn't say Jesus died on a Friday,
or rose from the grave Sunday morning
There were not just two of every kind of animal aboard Noah's Ark
I'm a bit tempted to order the book, just to see how close to the truth he gets. Right now I get the feeling that this book will appeal to the bible hobbyist. Some folks are big on trivia and they will read this so they can "know" things that their friends don't.Oh well....who knows, some of it might stick.

After almost 23 years and 300,000 miles, it's time to part.
It's amazing how guys get attached to their trucks, isn't it? I've lived in 3 different cities but my trusty '86 Ranger has been with me the whole time. I had no idea I'd have that truck for so long, but that's how things worked out.I never had any real problems with it either. It was a very dependable vehicle. I've hauled gravel, horse manure, plywood, animals, mechanical equipment, you name it, it's been in the bed of that truck. I've dragged the boat to and from the lake countless times. Couldn't use 5th gear while towing the boat, but hey, no biggie....lol.....28mpg is worth it (not while towing the boat, just normal highway driving).I hear that Ford is discontinuing the Ranger after the 2009 model. I suspect that a similar truck will be offered but under a different name. Probably a truck they sell in Europe or somewhere now will be re-badged and sold here.Actually, all of this nostalgia is not so much about the truck, but thinking back over the last 23 years. Memories of life, family and what all. Parting with something that played a part in your life tends to bring back memories. My son LOVED to go ride in "dad's truck". It was a monumental event when he was big enough to ride in it without the booster seat! I taught him how to drive in that truck. He eventually got the use of it all through high school and it went off to college with him too. I think he put the last 100,000 miles on it....lolWell, we bought him a car when he got his degree, so I got my old truck back. I'd drive it around town here a couple of days a week, just to keep it from sitting up. Lack of use will ruin a vehicle quicker than anything. The Mrs. had been on me to "sell that old thing" for the last year or so, and I finally relented.I advertised it on Thursday, and sold it the next day. I had no idea people would line up to purchase something so old and with so many miles on it. Honestly, I had a waiting list of buyers. The first one took it so I had to call 3 people back after that to tell them that it was sold. (I stopped taking names after 3, I told everyone after that to call back on Monday and I'd let them know if it was still available) The disappointment in their voices was profound. The truck was in exceptional condition considering it's age and mileage, but still, it won't last forever.Anyway.....the Ranger I drive now has almost 200,000 miles on it....who knows, in a few years I may get to do this all over again!

No comments: