Thursday, April 17, 2014

Get Off of Your Screen!

An interesting article from http://www.ucg.org/ about too much technology. This follows this post about the likelihood of a war in Asia. This follows this post about Jesus statement about "three days and three nights" as his proof of being the Messiah. For a free magazine subscription or to get the book recommended for free click HERE! or call 1-888-886- 8632. You can follow me at blogspot here and at twitter here https://twitter.com/brianleesblog. Please consider following both in case one goes down!




Get Off of Your Screen



Printer-friendly version


get-off-of-your-screen
Source: Rudy Rangel
I noticed it recently, and it happened more than once. I was spending time with my daughter. She was riding her bike in our driveway. But I wasn’t there. I was on my phone. Sure, I took her picture, tweeted it and iMessaged it to her grandparents. But I wasn’t enjoying this special moment, sharing in her joy as she was overcoming the trepidation of her “big girl” bike. There was my beautiful daughter riding her bike, and I was staring at my screen. Lost moments.
A recent article popped up on my news feed from NPR about a Vermont cafe that banned laptops. It started off as a fiscal decision. When tables are taken by one person on their computer working, that leaves no seating for customers coming into the store. But the store owner, Jodi Wahlen said it's not just about money.
“To walk into a place and see people looking at their screens with a blank stare, it takes away just kind of the community aspect of it—of you being in a place with other people.” I’m sure you have seen the same scenario in a coffee shop. It’s quiet, no one talking. Just the clickety-clack of keyboards dispersed around the remote island-tables in the store. A coffee shop with a computer ban will have life and vibrancy of people sharing together, building relationships.
We are more social than ever, you may say. But as we are more social on digital networks it can take away from real-life personal connections. I noticed it when I was spending precious time with my daughter. She is a gift from God.
“Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb is a reward” (Psalm:127:3).
Spending quality time with our children is a fleeting opportunity. Get off of your screen and enjoy them. Spend quality time with the people that are around you as well. Social networks and your screens will always be there. The real-life moments will not.

No comments: